Cabbage and Roots Soup
This recipe can be made with whatever root vegetables you have available. Any one or combination of the following would work well: carrots, parsnips, turnips, rutabaga, celeriac. Or you could just add more potatoes.
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 4 cups broth (vegetable, chicken, or beef)
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes
- 1 small cabbage, sliced, or ½ large
- 2 medium white potatoes or sweet potatoes scrubbed and cubed
- 2 cups root vegetables peeled as desired and sliced or cubed
- 1 Tbsp fennel seed or caraway seed optional
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 cups or more of water
Back to Recipes
- Heat the oil in the bottom of a large pot. Sauté the garlic and onions until the onions are transparent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the broth, the rest of the vegetables, and fennel or caraway seeds (if using).
- Bring to a boil, then let simmer for 30 minutes. Add more water as necessary while cooking.