You can serve this in a casserole form or use the empty squash shell as a baking dish.
Spaghetti Squash Lasagna with Spinach
- 1 big spaghetti squash 2½- to 3-pound
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 8 oz lean ground beef or turkey
- 8 oz fresh spinach cleaned and cut as needed
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 1/2 cup marinara sauce
- 1/2 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese divided
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese divided
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning (or a mix of basil, oregano and thyme)
- 1/4 tsp ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degree F.
- Cut squash in half lengthwise, scoop out seeds and discard. Place squash cut-side down in a microwave-safe dish, add 2 tbsp of water and cook on high until the flesh is tender about 10 minutes (Alternatively place cut side up on a baking sheet and bake at 350 degree F for 50 minutes in the oven).
- After the squash has cooled for a few minutes scrape the spaghetti-like strands into a bowl.
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add oil and swirl to coat, add garlic, cook for 30 seconds and add spinach. Cook until spinach is wilted. Add the garlic-spinach mix to the spaghetti squash. Add ricotta, half of the mozzarella cheese, half of the parmesan and Italian seasoning and pepper to taste.
- Return skillet to medium-high heat and cook the meat. Stir to crumble and cook until meat is no longer pink. Add marinara sauce and cook for another 4 minutes.
- Place empty spaghetti squash shells in an oven-safe baking pan or on a baking sheet. Spoon meat sauce evenly into the bottoms of the squash shells. Top with squash-spinach-cheese mix and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake at 400 degree F for 20 minutes or until cheese is golden and bubbly.
Back to Recipes
Nutrition Information: Serving size: ½ stuffed squash, per serving: 422 kcal, 19 g fat, 7.3 g sat fat, 34 g carbohydrates, 6.2 g fiber, 30 g protein, 750 g sodium,