- 1 Tbsp olive or canola oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 - 3 medium carrots diced
- 2 cloves of garlic minced (optional)
- 1 x 15 oz can tomatoes (diced, crushed or sauce)
- 3-4 cups chicken or vegetable broth low-sodium preferred
- 1 bunch kale chopped
- 1 x 15 oz can cannellini bean rinsed
- 1 Tbsp Italian seasoning or any mix of basil, oregano and thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot, heat the oil and stir in the diced onion and carrots.
- Cook for a few minutes until the vegetables begins to soften.
- Stir in the garlic (if you are using it) and the Italian seasoning.
- Add the can of tomatoes (including juices) and broth. Bring to a boil.
- Add the cannellini beans and chopped kale and turn the heat down to a simmer. Simmer for 3-5 minutes until the kale has softened.
- Adjust the seasonings.
Back to Recipes
Variation: Add 3/4 of a cup of small pasta (like orzo) and 2 cups water together with the kale. Simmer until kale and pasta are soft. Tip: Don't waste the kale stems. Strip off the leaves, chop them and add them together with the onions and carrots.