Curried Butternut Squash Lentil Soup
- 2 Tbsp oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1.5 lb butternut squash peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes sweet potatoes will also work here
- 3 Tbsp Thai red curry paste
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tbsp fresh grated ginger or 1/2 tsp ground
- 1 Tsp ground tumeric optional
- 1/2 Tsp salt
- 1 cup red lentils rinsed
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 medium bunch kale or spinach optional
- toasted coconut or cilantro optional for topping
- lime juice to taste optional
Back to Recipes
- In a pot or dutch oven, heat the oil. Add the onion and squash and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are soft, about 6 minutes.
- Add the curry paste, garlic, ginger, turmeric and salt and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the lentils and broth and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer until the lentils are soft and falling apart, about 20 minutes. Add the kale or spinach and stir until wilted, about 3 minutes. Top with cilantro, coconut flakes and lime juice, if using.